Saturday, January 10, 2009

Week Numero Uno: My First Waffle

Well, I made it through the first week alive & well!! It was real different being that new kid but think I'm going to really enjoy my time here. The rest of my classes went pretty well later in the week too.

Logistics seems pretty laid back. We're going to do a "mock" business and learn how to use a couple logistics software programs that are modernly used.

European Studies was a little slow but interesting to me. There are about 20 people in that class, only 2 Americans, and 1 male...myself. It's more a historic overview of the European Union and that sort of stuff. Our teacher could probably get through the material in an hour but naturally, just as my regular teachers do, he drags it out for the full period.

Managment game was just that. We are playing a hypothetical game to see which team, each team is a company, can produce the most profit with a business plan they create. Everyone has the same guidelines for the GPS Producing company but the operations and decisions rest upon the actual companies themselves. I'm working with a French student but cannot remember her name at the moment.

Survival Dutch was interesting. Wasn't real sure what it even meant based on the title but it is just learning essential Dutch language. Stinks that it is on Friday from 2:30-4:30 but the teacher said if all 11 students can find another time that works for everyone we can move it. They're real laid back like that. According to Reuben, a Belgium native friend of mine, we absolutely butcher the language. But I think it's alot of fun to learn. J=y, there are double-value rules, etc, etc. but at least its interesting.

It felt like to me that they are very into the hypothetical situations; all my classes we are "playing a game", using company software, or creating a business plan (Marketing Project). Alot different then typical lecture-note Amerikkan classes...

I bet it sounds like it has been all work an no play with as much writing about school as I am doing, but no.

Thursday night we went to a local club called Versuz, insane. Don't know how many hunderds of people were in there just dancing like there was no tomorrow. I like my music loud but I have never had anything compare to about 4 and half hours of straight dance (techno)/rap music. It was insane. Even if I spoke fluent Dutch it would be hard to hold a conversation with someone. We were out until about 5 or 6 in the morning because when they go out here, they don't go out until about midnight or 1. It was an experience and I'm sure I'll be back. They're party nights on Thursday, Saturday, & Monday. Weird?.. The worst part about the whole thing was trying to wake up and go to class to learn a new language after I long beir-filled night!!

Lastnight, Vrijdag, Summer, Jamie, Reuben, & I went and got a Bicky Burger in town for dinner after Dutch class. It's basically a burger with a special Belgian invented sauce, and they put onion-crisp on it too. They're good and filling! We walked through the town, looked at shops and kind of learned where more things were. I stopped and had my first Belgian waffle. To be honest it will probably be my only one. They're extremely sweet, too sweet, for me. But can't disagree, they do taste good. Then we went to a couple bars, Export, walked around town, went to a fry shop, Fritz & Co. and just kind of laid low. Wasn't a whole lot of energy flowing after Thursday night. Haven't really had whole lot of Belgian food its all kind of international stuff that is just adopted and changed to fit Belgian style.

Well it's Saturday morning and I think we're going to go to town and maybe even do some sight seeing today. That will be cool. I know that I am going the European Union Parliment and on a couple different field trips coming up. Yeah I'm getting credits for taking field trips and then writing about them...European school rocks! haha I heard about the BCS games, haven't seen anything in sports since I've been here until lastnight; I heard LSN is gaining some creditablity thanks to some classy individuals and their fire arms. It's hard to find out what's going on back home so if you got any big news, fill me in. Until next time.

Ik ben Patrick. Ik woon uit Lee's Summit maar ik ben geboren in Kansas City. Ik been 20 jaar student. Dank u voor het lezen mijn blog.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your first week was busy and fun. Yes, LS made the news ...but not for the right reasons.
    Hope the sleep thing is a more normal pattern and you have an awesome second week! Love ya. MOM

    ReplyDelete